Founding attorney Anu Gupta has filed thousands of visa and green card petitions in the past 20 years, advising more than 10,000 individuals, entrepreneurs and corporate employers on immigration matters. A winner of several awards and recognitions, a life-long MENSA member and the author of more than a 100 published legal articles, Anu firmly believes that an attorney should be known only for her dedication and by her ability to win – especially when the facts are complicated.
A first-generation American, Anu has lived the same journey that you are on, and she firmly believes in helping you achieve your immigration aims. Anu believes in providing great in-person service, so you may be surprised upon calling our office to be connected directly to her for a few minutes of advice before the call is routed. Due to this level of commitment to her clients, Anu has a sterling reputation and one of the highest visa approval rates in the industry.
Anu founded Immigration Desk in 1999 after moving to Silicon Valley from New York, focusing her efforts solely on immigration services. Her practice grew with her immensely popular immigration advice column in India Post
, one of the highest circulation Indian newspapers in the United States. She wrote the legal column as a free community service for people with immigration questions. When time permitted, she also wrote similar guest columns for several other publications. She then collaborated with Rediff.com (ThinkIndia)
, one of India’s largest search engine/portal, to design its immigration channel. Her popular immigration Q&A section on Rediff’s immigration channel received well over 100,000 hits each week.
Present in Silicon Valley during the tech boom, Anu helped many companies plan their immigrant workforce and grow their businesses. Anu knew that the ability to attract and retain foreign workers can affect a technology employer’s profit margins, and she understood the time constraints and financial costs. She also understood the pressures employers faced when work visa quotas ran out and employees were needed urgently.
To help her clients, Anu honed her skill in creating workable immigration solutions quickly and cost-effectively, and she helped employers develop long-term plans to hire and retain workers. Understanding that when visa numbers are limited and winning approval on every single visa counts, Anu vigorously defended every petition – winning approval on over 95% of the petitions filed in the past 15 years.
Based on her problem-solving skills, her ability to offer creative solutions and her inability to accept “no” when it was her case, Anu quickly built a reputation of being a highly regarded immigration adviser to business owners in high-growth industries. Besides the hi-tech industry, she has worked with notable technology gurus and innovators, Palo Alto/Sand Hill venture capitalists, think-tank groups, college professors, entrepreneurs and foreign investors. She filed visas for extraordinary scientists and Olympic athletes.
When the Department of Labor started auditing corporations and ICE crackdowns became common during the economic meltdown, Anu skillfully handled immigration audits and fraud investigations for her corporate clients. She positioned Immigration Desk to help businesses establish best practices and set up in-house procedures for self-auditing and compliance with immigration regulations, LCA audits and mandatory document maintenance.
Over the years, Anu expanded her practice to partnerships with offices in Moscow, Toronto, Manila and New Delhi. These foreign offices were designed to promote immigration from these countries, to grow U.S. investments and to aid visa applicants applying for visas from these posts.
Anu truly believes that your success is our success. To this day, we still handle immigration matters for many of the companies we helped guide over the past fifteen years.
Anu’s breadth of legal experience, award-winning writing, ability to bring creative solutions to the table when our clients are in tough situations and her willingness to take on a challenge are the reasons why Immigration Desk has a sterling reputation and one of the highest visa approval rates consistently
over the past 15 years.
Immigration Desk currently works with corporations of all sizes in the high-tech and other professional services industries; with hospitals, universities and restaurants; and with high-net-worth individuals, investors and entrepreneurs. We also work with individuals sponsoring families or filing for waivers.
Anu has built a truly diversified practice to benefit her clients. Her staff speaks several languages and is ready to help you navigate the immigration process with ease.
We truly believe in making immigration easy!Law School:
Juris Doctor, DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, 1996Undergraduate:
BA in English, DePaul University, Chicago, 1993
BA in English Literature (Honors), University of Delhi, 1991Ongoing Education:
Harvard University Extension School, CambridgeLanguages Spoken:
English, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, some FrenchLicenses:
Illinois and New York – practicing in all 50 states
Honors and Awards
Who’s Who Legal
- Who’s Who Legal: Corporate Immigration (Worldwide) – 2015
identifies and publishes names of the top 500 attorneys in their fields worldwide. We are honored to be included!
- Top Attorney – Immigration Award with Avvo Rating of “Superb” – 2013, 2014 & 2015
Avvo has rated over 97% of U.S. attorneys. Ratings based on attorney accomplishments, awards, peer recognition and client reviews. In addition to the Top Attorney (Immigration) Award, we earned a “10
” for the past several years, the highest recognition awarded.
- AI: Best in Sector Performance for Immigration (US)-2015
The Award recognizes the lawfirm’s performance in the past 12 months.
- Corporate Livewire’s Global Award: Immigration-2015
The Corporate LiveWire Awards represent the pinnacle of business achievement, championing the global “best in their fields” in the most important sectors of business and law. The culmination of the awards is the Global Award
, bestowed on business and legal leaders who have proven their excellence throughout the year and years past.
- Acquisition International GMIL Award: Best for Entrepreneur Focused Relocation – USA, 2015
Acquisition International’s Awards are given annually, the recipient chosen from globally recognized leaders in their fields. The awards are based solely on merit, excellence and performance in the business, legal, financial and investment communities worldwide.
- Global Mobility, Immigration and Logistics Awards: Best for Nationality Law – New York, 2015
The 2015 Global Mobility, Immigration and Logistics program is focused firmly on industry leaders who have performed at a consistently high level and delivered – on a daily basis – truly exceptional results over the past year.
- 2014 Entrepreneur Focused Relocation Firm of the Year (US) – from the prestigious Acquisition International’s Global Mobility and Immigration Awards
- Avvo Clients’ Choice Award – 2013 & 2014
- Listed in Who’s Who in America – from 2008 through 2015
- Indian Business Community Leader Recognition
- Dean’s Award for Scholastic Excellence & Summa Cum Laude, DePaul University (Undergraduate)
- Silver Medalist: Delhi University, award presented by Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma, the eventual President of India
- The National Advocates Top 100 Lawyers
The National Advocates is an invitation-only professional organization comprised of the Top 100
attorneys from each state. Members are chosen based on superior qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence and performance in their areas of specialty. This exclusive organization provides the highest quality advocacy training for lawyers across the nation.
Mensa is the international high IQ society offering membership to individuals who score in the top 2% on IQ tests. Anu has been a member for the past 20 years.
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Officer/Liaison to USCIS Committee (Past)
AILA is one of the largest national association of immigration lawyers in the U.S. providing resources for attorneys and a powerful legal voice for immigrants. Anu served as its Liaison Officer to the USCIS Vermont Service Center in 2012
- South Asian Bar Association (New England Chapter Member)
- Several industry associations, such as TiE (New England), Nasscom and the National Association of Professional Women
In the News (Among Others)
- Channel 4 (KRON, San Francisco): Interviewed on evening news as Indian Community Leader for views on immigration rallies
Anu appeared on Channel 4’s News at 5
to share her views on immigration rallies.
- San Jose Mercury News: Quoted heavily in special edition section on immigration and the impact of foreign labor influx
Anu was heavily quoted in San Jose Mercury News newspaper’s special two-page centerfold feature article on immigration.
- Several other websites, radio shows, local newspapers and magazines.
Scholarly Writings and Publications
Articles in these publications:
- India Post
- Ajit Weekly
- Divya Bhaskar
- Silicon India
- India Currents
- India West
- Various websites
Non-exhaustive list of legal articles and publications:
- New Rules on Travelling Abroad When H1B Transfer Position is Pending
- Who Does the LIFE Act Apply to?
- Effect of Corporate Mergers/Restructuring on H1B Employees
- Adjustment of Status Under 245(i)
- Why Does a Laid-Off H1B Holder Have to Leave the US or File Another H1 Before Being Laid-Off?
- Affidavit of Support: Who Needs to Fill It?
- Non Payment of Wages to H1B
- Life Act vs. Amnesty Provision
- Travel While H1 Transfer is Pending?
- Filing for a Fiancée from India
- How Can a Canadian LPR Visit the US?
- When the Labor Condition Application is Filed After the H1 Petition
- Permanent Residency for Priests
- Categories of Employment Based Green Card
- Engaged to an Indian? How to File for Her
- What is the TTS Drop Box at the Consulate?
- Department of Labor: H1B Dependent Employers
- Change of Status From a Tourist Visa to Green Card
- Starting a Company on a H1
- Internet Taxation
- Changing Employers when Green Card is Pending
- How to choose between H1 and L1
- Change in the Employer-Corporation While Green Card is Pending
- Found Pirated Software in the Office
- What is an L1 Visa?
- Options When H4 Not Extended Before Expiry
- Effect of Criminal Conviction on a Pending Green Card
- How to File for a Green Card for Canada
- Can Canadians Get Tourist Visas?
- Can a Green Card Holder Stay Out for 2 Years?
- Employer’s Responsibilities Under the Labor Condition Application
- Getting a Visa Issued at a US Consulate in Canada
- How to Stay Beyond 6 Years on a H1
- When Filing an H1, Is There Need to List all the Work Locations on an LCA?
- How to Transfer Pending Green Card to New Employer
- Filing an H1 for a Tech Consultant Without a Client
- How Can a Small Company Hire H1 Employees?
- Tourist Visas
- Processing Time for a Fiancée Visa
- Filing for a H1-What happens When Prevailing Wage is Higher Than Actual Salary
- Should I File an H1 or J1 for Medical Residency?
- How to Get a B1 at a Consulate
- What to do When There is a Change in H1 Holder’s Job Description
- Legalities of Sending Consultants to Work in the US on a Business Visa
- Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing?